Tanzu Product Releases
Check out Tanzu Product releases for this week and release notes for more details
VMware Tanzu Application Platform (TAP)
Spring Cloud Gateway for Kubernetes
TAS Integration for Tanzu Observability by Wavefront
API portal for VMware Tanzu
Knowledge Base Articles
Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG)
- How to rotate certificates in a Tanzu Kubernetes Grid cluster (86251) - This article describes the process to rotate the Kubernetes core components including kubelet for both Management and Workload Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG) clusters.
- How to collect metrics from ETCD using Prometheus on TKGm (89421) - The purpose of this guide is to provide a comprehensive how-to on monitoring ETCD in a way that all configuration will persist in the event of VM deletion/recreation.
Spring Cloud Data Flow for VMware Tanzu (SCDF)
- SCDF dataflow app crashed with high disk utilization - SCDF Dataflow or Skipper app crashed due to failed health check.
- Steps on creating a dedicated Spring Boot application metadata artifact - illustrates on how to implement a dedicated application metadata.jar.
Tanzu Application Services for VMs (TAS)
- Custom metrics are lost from Metric Registrar Endpoint worker - In this KB article, we will explore how to track the dropped counter metric where the source id is forwarder_agent due to buffer overflows and identify applications with large metric endpoint responses.
- Isolation Segment Smoke Test Fails when upgrading to VMware Tanzu Application Service (TAS) for VMs 2.13 - Due to the breaking changes, Iso segment to TAS needs port 6067.
Product Issue Awareness
VMware Tanzu Application Services(TAS) and Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated (TKGI)
Slab memory leak on Ubuntu Xenial stemcells - versions 621.241 and higher
Slab memory leak has been observed on TAS and TKGi environments utilizing Ubuntu Xenial stemcell versions 621.241 and higher. This issue may result in intermittent unresponsive VM's.
This problem has not been seen on all TAS and TKGi foundations but rather only ones with certain characteristics (BOSH add-ons, specific application workloads).
If the problem began after a stemcell upgrade, then current remediation recommendations is to rollback stemcell (to 621.240 or lower) to earlier version. Check the above article for complete details and recommendations.
Customer Success Stories
“It was clear to us. To survive in the market, we needed to move our whole IT infrastructure to the cloud, to respond faster to the market and to legal changes. We needed to become cloud native.” - Lars Riedel, Executive Board Member and Head of Homebase Development and Operations, DATEV
DATEV Future-Proofs Data Center Strategy with Cloud Native Technology
DATEV engaged VMware Tanzu Labs to modernize its application infrastructure to provide a hybrid cloud foundation, built on VMware Cloud Foundation on VxRail. VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid with vSphere and VMware NSX Data Center provide DATEV faster application development and deployment. Now the company can respond rapidly to a volatile market, comply with financial regulations, and meet the evolving needs of its tax consultants and small and medium enterprise customers. Customer Case Study
Blogs and Videos
VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG)
- How does Tanzu Kubernetes Grid 2.0 Enhance vSphere 8?- Breakroom Chats Episode 6 - With the recent announcement of vSphere 8, one of the highlights is the upgrade of our Kubernetes runtime to Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG) version 2.0.
- A First Look at ClusterClass Deployments using Tanzu Kubernetes Grid 2.0 - Kendrick C brings update on Tanzu Kubernetes Grid 2.0 has a unified framework to deliver a consistent user experience when deploying Kubernetes clusters on vSphere 8.0.
VMware Application Catalog (VAC)
VMware Application Catalog Extends Base Operating Systems Support - Xoan G updates on, VMware Application Catalog will support all major or stable OS versions as supported by the distribution. Which helps with migration of applications between different stable versions of the same base OS easier. Product page for recent updates
Tanzu Mission Control (TMC)
VMware Tanzu Mission Control Feature Comparison Chart - Corey D informs us on this great resource which shows the difference between TMC editions and feature comparisons
Azure Spring Applications (ASA)
Azure Spring Apps Unboxing Experience - Sam W’s detailed write up on ASA and how it uses a lot of Tanzu technology under the cover. Azure Spring Apps is a Microsoft Azure service.
Already featured Cormac's blog brings in vSphere with Tanzu related blogs this week.
- vSphere with Tanzu – Multi-Zone Preview - This feature, when it becomes available with vSphere 8.0, enables vSphere with Tanzu deployments to be rolled out across geographically dispersed vSphere infrastructures.
- A quick reference to Tanzu, Kubernetes, Containers and related posts - Compiled list of all Tanzu K8 related blogs in one page list for you to access
What's VMware Tanzu - Presented by Boskey S and Ryan B - Learn all about VMware Tanzu: What it is, what's included, and how it can help build modern platforms and reduce developer toil.
Tanzu Talk - Ben W and Friends shares on VMware Explore, k8s 1.25, Heroku’s free tier EoL’ed, NGINIX talks open source, Serverless
Webinars and Events
Tanzu Office Hours - Do not miss the next one on Oct 5th
If you’re interested in learning about Tanzu Mission Control, join our office hours to get direct access to VMware’s Kubernetes experts and enable you to leverage all the capabilities of VMware's Modern Application solutions.
Oct 5 - Recommended Kubernetes Policies for Securing Applications in Production in VMware Tanzu Mission Control - Register now!!! - During these office hours, you will learn about cluster groups and workspaces, access policies, common pitfalls as well as a quick demo and interact with technical experts
Kube Academy Office hours - Register if you have not!!!
Sep 21(10am PST) - KubeAcademy Office Hours Core Concepts Part 5: Workloads and Security - This Office hours will focus on the Workloads and Security course. After a brief introduction, KubeAcademy instructor Ryan Schneider will proceed to host a live Q&A to answer your questions. Its not a prerequisite to have completed the course for this session.
RabbitMQ Summit Event
Sep 16 Hybrid Event - The 4th edition of RabbitMQ Summit is taking place as a hybrid event, both in person (CodeNode venue) and virtually, on 16th September 2022 and brings together some of the world's biggest companies, using RabbitMQ, all in one place. Register in the link above. You can take part in two workshop-style courses that provide hands-on learning experiences, for beginners and experts.
VMware Explore Event - Content Catalog for Europe is available now
VMWare Explore ( Europe Registration - November 7-10) - The VMware Explore Europe event is coming up!!! . Check out The sessions, experts, labs and experiences you love and more from the center of the multi-cloud universe.. Share the news with your customers and encourage them to register and view the Europe Content Catalog FAQ on event
Thanks and Regards,
Aruna Srinivasan (She/Her)
Sr. Digital Content Manager - Tanzu Customer Success